In light of the response from my body image survey, the latest T.O.F.U. issue, and the panel at the last Vida Vegan Con, body image—especially of vegans—is a huge issue. We are, as a people, not OK with ourselves. And that’s not OK.
So I’m starting what I hope will at least be a monthly series, where we hear from all of you. How do you feel about yourself, and how does your vegan label affect that?
What I need from you:
Around 500–1,000 words on the following (hit as many of the points as you like—I’ll be editing):
- Name (first, full, fake), age, sex/gender identity, body type as you’d categorize yourself. If you’d like to include height/weight, go for it.
- How long have you been vegan (or vegetarian before that), and why?
- How much work do you put into your physical being? Diet, exercise, drugs, surgery, shapewear?
- How has going vegan affected your body and body image? Transformed? Not at all?
- What does “healthy” mean to you? Do you strive for it?
- Any history with eating disorders? Wanna talk about it?
- What, if any, responsibility do you have as a vegan ambassador to look or be a certain way?
- Anything else you’d like to say on the subject?
Include a photo if you’re not a camera-shy child like myself. I’d love to get all your vegan mugs out there. At least 300 pixels wide, please.
Email it all to me at VegtasticVoyage@gmail.com. I’ll let you know if/when I’ll be using yours and will run big edits by you.
Thanks a ton, kiddos. I think this’ll be cool. And like I said for my original survey, please seek professional help if you think you might need it, and big hugs to all for tackling such a triggery subject.